❄ The Space Heater Safety Tips page will educate you on how to stay warm and safe this winter season.
❄ Check 511 Virginia the latest road conditions.
❄ Check the National Weather Forecast for the latest weather conditions.
Be prepared for the Cold Weather and Winter Storms.
Prepare your home & vehicle for cold weather.
- Do routine maintenance on your heating system and clean your chimneys
- Maintain proper usage of space heaters.
- Install and maintain your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Prepare an Emergency Kit in case you and your family are snowed in for a period of time.
- Service your car, top of all fluids, check tire pressure and tread
- Prepare a winter emergency kit for your vehicle and keep it in your vehicle:
- Battery-powered radio, flashlight, and extra batteries
- Booster cables
- Bottled water and nonperishable high-energy
- foods such as granola bars, raisins, and peanut butter
- Fire extinguisher (5-lb., A-B-C type)
- First-aid kit and manual
- Maps, shovel, flares
- Tire repair kit and pump
- Spare tire
- A snowbrush and ice scraper
- A bag of sand to help with traction
- Extra windshield fluid
- Old winter boots and clothes
Be prepared when spending time outdoors during the winter months:
- Wear appropriate outdoor clothing: layers of light, warm clothing; mittens; hats; scarves; and waterproof boots.
- Check the weather forecast.
- Be aware of the wind chill factor.
- Work carefully when doing outside chores.
- Carry a cell phone and make sure it is fully charged.
- Tell someone where you are going, when you plan to arrive at your destination and when you will be back.
- Take a buddy and an emergency kit when you are participating in outdoor recreation.
- LED Headlamp
- 18 Hour Lightstick
- Waterproof/Windproof Matches
- Utility Candles
- Fire starters
- Emergency Blanket
- Sleeping Bag
- Rain Poncho
- Emergency Food
- Multi-tool Knife
- 50 ft Rope
- First Aid Kit
- Folding Shovel w/Pick
- Folding Saw